Saturday, June 4, 2011

Hiking Mount Wachusett

     
      If you live in central Massachusettes, then I'm pretty sure you've heard of Mount Wachusett. For those of you who don't know Mount Wachusett, let me give you some basic information about the mountain:
  • Location - Princeton, Massachuettes
  • Elevation - 2006 feet
  • Prominence - 1000 feet
  • Time to summit - 1hr to 3hr depending on the trail and the pace
Any other information regarding the mountain can be found on wikipedia.
      There are quite a few different trails located on the mountain. All of which are fairly easy to traverse to the top. The only decision you really have is where you plan on starting. If you plan on starting from the lowest point on the mountain, you can pick up any of the trails on the front side of the mountain (where the ski lifts and such are). The front side of the mountain has many of the most laid back trails on the way to the top.
      If you're looking for a more vigorous hike, going up the backside of the mountain has some much steeper terrain. One of my favorite trails is the Link Trail which has you climbing up some pretty large rocks. Really gets the heart pumping and the calories burning. I've only been up the backside of the mountain a couple of times, much easier to get to the front and just hike from there.
      I'm not sure the exact layout I'm going to stick with yet. I'm still toying around with a few ideas. I'm thinking of creating a general post like this one for each mountain I summit, then creating additional posts detailing each trip accompanied by some photos. The other idea is to keep the post text only, or a few of the best pictures from a specific hike and then linking to a slideshow of all the photos I took of the hike. If anyone has any suggestions, feel free to comment or send me a message.

No comments:

Post a Comment