Friday, June 3, 2011

The obligatory welcoming post!

      Welcome to "New England Hiking", a blog about my adventures hiking anything and everything in New England. To start, let me tell you a little about how I got into hiking. In 2010, a friend of mine gave me a call and asked me if I wanted to hike the closest mountain in our area, Mount Wachusett. Not having anything else to do that day, I said sure. I grabbed a bottle of water and my friend and I drove to the mountain.
       I had no idea what to expect, I think I was sort of expecting a nature walk on a nice fairly even trail, maybe a bit of an incline because it's a mountain, but what I got was nothing short of exerting. I couldn't tell you exactly what trail we took up, but let's just say by the time we reached the top, I was exhausted. Climbing rocks and such was not what I was expecting, but after about an hour of hiking, we finally reached the summit.
      Let me tell you, after getting to the top of the small 2100 ft mountain, I was hooked. I gazed off into the horizon and being able to see that far on such a clear day was an awesome sight. I don't know the exact distance my friend I were able to see out, but it was over 50 miles. From the top of Mount Wachusett, we could see mountains up in New Hampshire, such as Mount Monadnock (one of the most popular mountains to hike in New England).
      I have a plethora of reasons for writing this blog. It's a great way for me to document my trips and create a journal so that I can relive the hikes years down the road. It's also a great way to show people some of the amazing things that are out in the world. So please, sit back, read and enjoy all the stories that I have to offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment